.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Jackson, Mississippi, United States

I need to update this thing at some point.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Honoring the Golf Gods

Today, Friday July 15th, is the day I have pledged to honor and devote myself to the golf gods that preside over the past, present, and future of golf. I choose this day because I have no class or other activities and am free to partake in as much golf activity as I like. Also, today is the second round of the British Open which happens to be taking place at St. Andrews, the home and birthplace of the game of golf. It is also Jack Nicklaus's last professional PGA tournament as he will choose, at this time anyway, not to compete competitively anymore as he is now 65.

For those of you who do not know, Jack Nicklaus is the father and lifeblood of modern golf and is recognized as the greatest player ever, having one the most majors of anyone with 19. He is the player most respected by fellow competitors but not only because they pretty much all consider him to be the greatest player ever. It is because he has been the greatest ambassador of golf. It is because he is a great father and husband. It is because he commands and has the respect of any who has ever followed the sport both on and off the course. In fact, they moved St. Andrews up in the rotation by a year to host the British Open because this is currently the last year the Golden Bear is qualified to compete and because Nicklaus is the greatest in golf and St. Andrews (regardless of what people currently think of the strength of the course) is the most beloved course for golf.

Now, currently Tiger Woods, the greatest player of this time (those players age 22 to 45) is leading the British Open by 4 over Levet, Singh, Immelman, Lonard, and Faxon at 10 under par through 10 of 18 holes in the 2nd round. Updates can be achieved from visiting ESPN's leaderboard at http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard with live coverage of the tournament on both TNT and ABC as the tournament continues til its conclusion Sunday. Of course, Woods's group of him Olazabul and Allenby has just been put on the clock for playin a wee bit slower than they should. But since he is runnin away with the tourney early, slow play won't be too much of a factor. On a side, my favorite players are the Big Easy Ernie Els of South Africa at 3 under and Greg Norman who is 1 under after both completing their 2nd round.

Of course, this afternoon I will continue my tribute to the golf gods by playing golf with Robert at MSU, home of one of the greatest collegiate golf courses in the country thanks to State's amazing and highly respected turf management and PGM progam. Now, my golf game is obviously not that good highlighted by nearly decapitating a duck as i lined my 4 skip shot in the water last time i played. Of course, I like mini golf b/c the best part of my golf game is notably my putting. (who am i kidding, i love mini golf at least 6 to 12 rounds when i'm on vacation).

Of course, now that I found out this week that I fractured my wrist, i have a good excuse for not bein good at golf the last 4 years. Nanh, I think it might have actually helped my wicked u-turn slice. Well, anyway, hopefully the rain and thunderstorms stay clear until tonight so the lightnin don't delay my gold game.

Anyway, back to the golf and me followin of Nicklaus, the Golden Bear, who is 3 over through 14.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home