.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Name:
Location: Jackson, Mississippi, United States

I need to update this thing at some point.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Legalization of Marijuana

Should marijuana be legalized? Being that i don't like to get into debates (well, sort of), i'll just keep this short and simple.

My stance is NO. Marijuana and any of the other names it goes by should continue to be illegal.

Thats about it. Thanks.

------- UPDATE ----------------------

After my thorough and long debate with the madame queen, I feel I must do the honorable thing and concede the debate on the legalization of marijuana to my trouncing competitor. I therefore state that "After a long hard debate and a serious attempt at understanding the matter at which the banning of marijuana is based on, I have found that the banning of marijuana is not feasible nor is it overall justifying. I have found that basing the banning of marijuana solely on the basis of the 'high' that usually accompanies smoking such a vile roll is simply legislating a moral agenda and not protecting the public."

Hence, I now state that I am not against the legalisation of marijuana anymore. I may not be an outspoken spokesman for such legalisation but i have had the ground i stand on in which to debate the suject burned under me.

Simply, to Madame Debater, i concede defeat.

11 Comments:

Blogger laura rayburn said...

Don't fear the reefer.

Tue Jul 12, 09:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mrholmes said...

Fear is not a matter of concern in relation to reefer (marijuana) itself. It only spins you if you use it. Hence, the only fear would be in arguing with someone who is usually right more often than me, in actuality or by quirk of nature. Luckily, on this issue and at this time, i don't have to prove myself right. I just have to urge to keep from changin the law, a position currently of much greater odds that that of actually changin the law to legalie such product as marijuana.

Tue Jul 12, 09:52:00 PM PDT  
Blogger niltiac said...

My only argument for legalization of marijuana is that it has been proven to be useful in many medical situations. It has been legally used as a pain-killer by people in 15 states, but that's now illegal according to the federal gov't. People suffering from chronic illnesses don't deserve to be in pain when there is an available remedy (assuming it is perscribed by an M.D.). I'm not saying that legal marijuana wouldn't be abused by those who don't need it, but marijuana does have good uses...where as cigarettes serve no useful purpose, at least medically.

Wed Jul 13, 05:28:00 AM PDT  
Blogger mrholmes said...

under tight constraints in a medical environment, marijuana is useful for alleviating or masking pain or so they say. hence, certainly a great point. however, i would think there would be products just as well suited for pain relief without the negatives attained from smoking marijuana. i'm not a doctor however so my assumptions in this case are based largely on speculation and general educated banter and writings.

Wed Jul 13, 09:45:00 AM PDT  
Blogger laura rayburn said...

What negatives?

Wed Jul 13, 03:32:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mrholmes said...

your asking a question? oh brother. my response is marijuana is bad for you, simple as that. anything else would be overstressing the debate. and i am not takin me blog to the soccer fields so it can relieve its stress.

Wed Jul 13, 04:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mrholmes said...

And Officer Carpenter, my DARE officer, said marijuana was really, really bad.

Wed Jul 13, 04:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger laura rayburn said...

And the Mesopotamians said that the earth was flat...really, REALLY flat.

Wed Jul 13, 10:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mrholmes said...

i heard that. probably b/c the marijuana burned the other half up in a great fire and it took til the 600 BC for it to grow back

Wed Jul 13, 10:36:00 PM PDT  
Blogger niltiac said...

You make a good point here that banning marijuana is really just "legislating a moral agenda." I never really thought about it this way, so thanks...or thanks to Laura for convincing you. :-)

Sun Jul 17, 08:21:00 PM PDT  
Blogger mrholmes said...

well, you know, you have to let someone win every now and then. it'd be wrong to win them all.

and judgin that her victory statement quotin me update stayed as the top story on her blog, i'd think she was pretty proud. and of course, no gloatin at all.

Mon Jul 18, 09:44:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home